Forums -> Multiple monitors -> window opening on "second monitor" even when not hooked up
Josh   2008-01-30 04:22
Good afternoon all. I am running a dual monitor system with my laptop and my 17" lcd monitor hooked up to the VGA port. For the most part, I've had no problems at all. However, I am studying for the cpa exams and when I am working homework on my laptop I run into a little bit of a problem.

If I'm working from just my laptop with no second monitor hooked up, whenever I click on the button to view the correct answer to a problem, the program tries to open it on the second screen. Unfortunately, the second screen isn't there so the window doesn't come up. After I click the button, if I plug it into the other monitor, there sits my answer. Is there any way to stop this window from opening on the "second" phantom monitor when using the laptop alone without the additional monitor?

-Josh
Christian Studer   2008-01-30 11:38
Make sure the secondary monitor is disabled under Display Properties > Settings. Some applications will still open windows offscreen though.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Miwa   2009-02-17 07:14
Me too suffering from application child windows opening within the off-screen area (where they were moved in previous session, while external monitor was plugged and desktop was extended to it).
This happens while working in Autodesk Inventor 2009.
Just couldn't understand advice given above.
"Use device" check-box in display settings becomes available ONLY while external display is plugged in. There is some hardware detection, I suppose.
So problem is still actual for me!
Any ideas?
deadfones   2009-02-17 13:58
These are app specific problems and unfortunately are common. See if right click taskbar > cascade windows, etc helps.

A keyboard trick that might work is:
* focus the window
* do the following keyboard sequence:
* alt + space + m, down
* then move the mouse to move the window

If nothing else works, you can use nircmd to move windows by title or class.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> window opening on "second monitor" even when not hooked up