Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Graphic card advice
Erik Olofsson   2001-10-20 23:51
I'm building a new system with 3 Sony GDM-F520 monitors, and I need advice for the two secondary monitors.

I need to be able to play overlay movies on the secondary monitors, and be able to use 2048x1536 resolution.

This resolution requires a video card with 350 MHz ramdac at least, so I can't use twinview setup.

The primary card will be a Gefroce3
I will be using Windows 2000, or possible XP
I will use dual CPUs

Right now I have a system with GF2 and two GF2 MX working ok in windows 2000.

I was thinking of going with the same setup, but since I will have good quality secondary monitors, I want the best possible picture on the secondary monitors. As I see it I have two choises:

1. Two GF2 MX 400 PCI
2. Two Radeon 32 sdr

The Radeons should have better picture quality, and I'm not interested in 3D acceleration on secondary monitors. I have seen reports in the database that the radeons as senondary monitors have lockup problems under w2k. Have these problems been resolved with newer drivers?

Should I go with GF2 MX or Radeon?
Smiler   2001-10-21 01:14
ATI currently do not have multiple montor support under XP. Only Matrox and NVidea (newest XP detonator drivers only). See link from Christian Studer's post for more.
Erik Olofsson   2001-10-21 01:30
So it wont even work as a secondary monitor only?

(I'm not interested in hydravision)
Christian Studer   2001-10-21 01:42
The RADEON should work fine on XP, only ATI dualhead cards (RADEON VE, maybe also 7500 and 8500) currently have no true multi-monitor support on XP (this may change with the new drivers that will be released on Oct 25).

Regarding problems with PCI RADEON cards: I don't know if it is a driver or configuration-related problem, but I also heard from people successfully using the cards as secondary (for example AGP + PCI RADEON configs).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Graphic card advice