Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Focus between monitors and within monitor
Hans L   2008-03-18 08:45
I have, for instance, two MS Word documents open in one monitor. I (left-)click in the text of one of the documents, and the "text cursor" appears where I click. I then click in the taskbar on the other document, which is then shown on the monitor, and I click in the text, and the "text cursor" appears where I click.

Now, I have each of the two MS Word documents on different monitors, and I the "text cursor" is in the text of one of the documents. I move the "mouse cursor" over to the document in the other monitor, and I click. If I click for the first time, the "text cursor" appears where I click, but if I have clicked on this document before, and this is the second or more time I move over to this document, the "text cursor" appears not where I click, but in the position where I left the "text cursor" last time I was in the document. I have to click a second time to get the "text cursor" where I want it, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is, to speak in perfectly pure Swedish, a pain in the ass.

Does anyone have any solution to this dilemma?

Regards,

Hans L
Hans L   2008-03-20 01:36
Okay, let me rephrase this post. Would anyone know what changes I need to make to be able to click only once on a page in either monitor for the cursor to be placed where I click (and not where the cursor was last time I was in that particular page)?

Thanks,

Hans L
David DeRolph   2008-03-22 08:23
My goodness, we do have our problems, don't we? Yep, I tried your scenario and get the same behavior. So, I think it's quite normal and I see no way of changing it. Frankly, I think it's such a trivial matter, it's hardly worth discussing. But, here's a one technique you might prefer. If you're switching back and forth only between two Word windows a lot of the time, use Alt/Tab to switch between windows. Then, your first mouse click will position the cursor where you click.
ecarlson   2008-03-22 17:18
The first click only moves focus back to the app. It's working exactly the same as when you were only using one monitor. The only difference is where you applied the first click on the second instance: the taskbar vs the application window.

There is a way around this, but be warned that it might take a while to get used to the different functionality. You can install Microsoft's TweakUI utility, then you can enable the setting for "Activation follows mouse (X-mouse)", and if you like, the sister setting "Autoraise when activating", which will bring the active window to the front if it is not already in front.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
ecarlson   2008-03-22 17:22
You might also want to add a 100ms (or thereabout) delay to the activation so you don't automatically activate every window that the cursor passes on its way to your desired window.

Hans L   2008-03-31 09:38
I had saved the text below from an answer that I posted, but somehow, it was not posted. So, here it is:

-------------
First, sorry for the late response. As you cannot get e-mail notification of responses here, I have problems responding in a timely fashion (too much going on in my life, I'm afraid. Work, among other things, darn it :-)

But I do appreciate your responses. David, I envy you your patience. I have none when it comes to computers.

eCarlson (Swedish background?), I have tried the focus under cursor thing, and I don't know how many times I have started typing where the prompt is, only to discover that I deleted a most important document where the mouse cursor was :-( Unfortunately, a delay would not solve that problem as far as I understand.

Can anyone give me, who loves to drive cars and operate computers, being equally bad at their more intricate technical backgrounds, why it is not possible to design software so that where you click the first time is where the prompt goes, as well as the focus? Or do you have to be a technical ignoramus to entertain an idea of such an obvious improvement?

Best regards,

Hans L
Ex. Swede
ecarlson   2008-03-31 13:35
At least I warned you that it would take a while to get used to. If clicking on an application would activate it and simultaneously relocate the cursor within it, then the other half of people would be complaining that every time they click on their app to activate it, they lose their original cursor position in that app.

Hans L   2008-04-25 03:24
Eric, you are right, of course. Since I am not a very attentive person, I would reek havoc using Xmouse.

Regards,

Hans L
ECarlson   2008-05-04 10:56
After my initial post, I decided to leave XMouse turned on on my home desktop to see what it was like to use for an extended period of time, but I did quickly decide to turn off the Autoraise feature.

I haven't noticed much difference having XMouse sans Autoraise enabled, but then it probably depends on what you use it for. It would probably be more noticeable at work where I have a lot more windows opened at one time, but I haven't tried it there yet.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Focus between monitors and within monitor