Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with building new PC with 3 monitors
Costas   2008-04-07 02:01
Hi guys, looking for advice in building a new PC for work and gaming. I would like it to have 3 monitors, to increase productivity and also for gaming.

The one and only game I intend to use in the 3-monitor setup is Microsoft Flight Simulator X (or an earlier version if needed).

Questions:

1. What graphics cards should I go for? Since I want to have 3 monitors, I will need 2 cards. I'm thinking of using two identical NVidia 8800GTX cards in a non-SLI configuration. Is that a good choice? I'm looking for something very powerful in *all* monitors (not a powerful primary and slow secondaries).

2. Will the above setup work with FSX? I've heard people having to revert to earlier versions. In any case, is there a FS version that is stable and reliable in a 3-monitor setup?

3. [Important] If I decide to merge the two GPUs in an SLI configuration (say I want to play a demanding game like Crysis in a single monitor), how easy is it to switch to SLI, play the game and then switch back to non-SLI? I mean, is it just a s/w option, or is it a hardware issue (having to open the case and rearrange the cards, etc.)?

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

Costas
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with building new PC with 3 monitors