Forums -> Multiple monitors -> HELP! Monitor shuts off at odd times.
spiff   2001-10-26 01:12
Hey guys. Still haven't fixed my first problem (see my screensavers post), but here's one that's even more bizarre.

My monitor is seeming to shut off randomly. Now, it's not the monitor itself, it seems to be the signal to it. (keep reading)

It can happen when the workstation is locked and idle, but it's even happened while I'm playing Counter-Strike!

Last time it happened, I decided to make sure it wasn't the monitor - so I switched my working monitor over to the AGP Geforce2MX400 (running 21.83 detonators) - still no monitor signal.

This morning it happened again - the computer is not locked, I can move around fine on the secondary monitor, but NOTHING on the first.

Last weird thing - twice when it has happened, I managed to get an OpenGL app to run (blind clicking lol) and when Counter-Strike or the Win2k OpenGL screensaver ran, it restarted the monitor signal and it clicked back on.

I am running Win2k, and I don't even HAVE ACPI enabled, so it's not a power down of any sort. Plus, my monitor is not set for any sort of power-saving mode.

Help? Christian, anyone?

-spiff
Christian Studer   2001-10-26 09:35
Could be a conflict between the drivers for the GeForce and the Velocity. Both use Nvidia chipsets, but the Velocity uses a different driver (RIVA 128 is not supported by the unified drivers).

If you have access to a different video card, try replacing the Velocity.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Terry   2001-10-31 03:39
To be honest, most random shutdowns are due to loose power cables. Make sure every cable is secure. Then make sure again. Then use gaffer tape.

After you've done that - try changing the power supply to your monitor.

Terry
spiff   2001-11-01 01:58
Thank you for the suggestions, Terry!

But as I said, the machine is not powering down. The monitor is simply appearing to go into "Power Save" mode. When this happens, I can attach a DIFFERENT monitor which will still not receive a signal from the Nvidia card.

However, I have noticed that if I can manage to blindly open Half-Life or an OpenGL Windows screensaver, the display will reactivate.

Also, if UltraMon is running, I can switch the Primary monitor and the video display will return.

Again, from what is happening, it does not seem to be a monitor issue. It seems the video display is just cutting off.

Yesterday I made sure that all Wake and PM events in the BIOS were completely disabled, to be sure they weren't part of the problem.

-spiff
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> HELP! Monitor shuts off at odd times.