Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help Building Multi-Screen Visualizer
Nick H   2008-05-06 07:43
I'm a CS student. Like most geeks I have a bunch of old CRT's laying around and access to more.

My idea is to stack them all up and create a giant visualizer that uses all the monitors as one big display.

I want to do this as cheaply as possible as all it will be used for is a visualizer (preferably just itunes as my music is all in there right now). I just have no real starting point.

Any advice/ideas/helpful hints would be appreciated. Think it would be possible to do this for < $500 US?

--------------------------------
Right now I have 6 monitors but I'm trying to get up to 9 for a square visualizer. They range in size from 17" to 20" and all have vga cables.

I have a couple old pentium 4 machines with 1 gb ram each. Only one vga out per machine tho.
---------------------------------

If this ever gets done I'd be more than happy to post pics / do a write-up

Thug Means Never Having To Say You're Sorry - Nancy Botwin
Max   2008-05-06 16:22
If you plan to use all of those hardware and have a unique big display, you might consider using Maxivista. It spans your display over multiple network connected pcs, but I guess you won't have to expect turbo performance or high speed full screen graphics for gaming, that's another matter.
Nick H   2008-05-06 16:55
Wow, thats perfect. Any idea what a good cheap board and vid cards would be? Really it just needs to be able to run itunes.

Thug Means Never Having To Say You're Sorry - Nancy Botwin
Max   2008-05-06 18:32
If you have only 2 main pcs there you would need more outputs for your monitor. That's the trouble. Pci cards are somehow cheap, but also hard to find, they would fit your need, as you have pci free slots. Agp solutions to split screens in spanned desktops is matrox double/triple heads splitters, but that's not what I would define any cheap. For almost the same money you could set up spare old pcs with one or two video output each.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help Building Multi-Screen Visualizer