Forums -> Multiple monitors -> cloning an extended desktop
Stuart Strand   2008-05-20 09:25
I am trying to set up a clone of my 2-monitor extended desktop to use on a treadmill desk next to my sit-down desk.

I am running Vista on a Dell Optiflex 745 with a 305 w PS. I purchased a second video card so that I have 2 Radeon X1300/X1550 cards with DVI-59 Y outputs. All the monitors are the same aspect ratio and resolution (Dell 1907FPV and Samsung Syncmasters)

I am using 2 simple block Y splitters each driving 2 monitors from one leg of each of the two cards. That works well accept that the left monitors won't show up on a fresh boot of the system, unless I start up with only one of the left monitors connected to the card. Once I get the extended desktop working I can connect up the left Y splitter and connect both left monitors successfully. If I reboot I have to go through the whole thing again. The right side monitors seem to work well on the Y splitter, but occasionally one will start flickering and flashing off and on.

I purchased 2 amplified DVI splitters (Dylink DVISP104A) (http://www.daya-computing.com/en/product/1225.htm)
and tried using them, one per card, in place of the Y splitters. This setup boots OK, but flashes off and on continuously on both sides, all monitors.

I tried the Ultramon beta for Vista, but it does not yet support cloning monitors (mirroring).

I thought this would be simple, but it is not. Can anyone help?

Stuart Strand
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> cloning an extended desktop