Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can't change primary monitor
JC   2008-06-16 13:08
Hey all,

Just got a 40" Samsung HDTV, and I'm trying to use it as a bigger screen for my MacBook Pro (running XP with Boot Camp). I'm using a DVI -> VGA converter and a VGA cable. The first time I started it out, the TV just mirrored the image up onto the TV, which worked fine for my purposes (playing Half-Life 2)-- I just turned my screen all the way down and looked at the TV and life was great. After playing, I went to do some mapping, and changed it so that it was extending my desktop. Problem is that now I can't revert it -- neither UltraMon nor the built-in display settings will let me set the second monitor (TV) as the primary or just set it to display the same thing. I updated my video drivers (card is a Radeon X1600) which was rather difficult, but that only worked after a restart and it was the same thing over again -- as soon as I told it to extend, it refused to revert again. Sigh.

Any ideas?
Christian Studer   2008-06-17 09:49
Usually you should be able to change this via the software for the video card (Catalyst Control Center for example).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
JC   2008-06-17 18:28
Hey,

I thought of this, I just can't get Catalyst to install on my machine -- ATI apparently doesn't support their cards when they're installed in MacBook Pros. Apparently they give the manufacturer a chance to adapt the drivers to their machines if they want, but if they choose to do so, ATI stops supporting them.

There's a program online that I used to modify the desktop drivers or the normal mobile drivers or something so that they would work with my computer. So that worked, and the Source games aren't telling me my video card drivers are out of date, but I still wasn't able to install Catalyst because that installer fails when it can't install the new drivers.

So, yeah, I can't install Catalyst, unless there's some way to just do it that I don't know of. Whenever I try, it always dies when it wants to do the drivers. I suppose I could try extracting the drivers then changing them then running the Catalyst installer and praying, but it seems unlikely to work, so I'm hoping for a different solution. Thanks though.

Runner, this is the last gate. Use your key now. When the bell sounds again, use your key. Good luck, runner. May you find Sactuary.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can't change primary monitor