Forums -> Multiple monitors -> DVD on multiple monitors
Newbie   2001-11-13 02:57
Looking to do something, but not sure if it's possible:

I'm building a dental suite that ideally will have two monitors. One, behind the patient, will access practice management program, patient data, etc. The second monitor will IDEALLY be viewed by the patient, not just for digital images, but more importantly, to allow them to watch DVD movies during long procedures.

So, the question is whether this is easily done and what special hardware might be required. Can I get by with a dual-head card, such as Matrox 450, or will it only work with a PCI and AGP card. Any rules on whether the DVD will only work on monitor one or two?

Thanks for any help.

LL
Christian Studer   2001-11-13 03:53
Should be possible, there are two different ways this could be implemented:

1) use two different video cards, or a dualhead card with overlays on both monitors (the G450 doesn't support this):

you could use the primary monitor for applications, and run fullscreen DVD on the secondary monitor using Zoom Player. This requires that both displays support video overlays, most recent video cards do.

2) use the DVDMax feature of the Matrox G450:

you would need to switch to the DVDMax mode of the G450. You could then work on the primary monitor, run a DVD player on this monitor as well, and the video would be mirrored on the secondary monitor.

I haven't tried this myself, so don't know if it will work. Maybe someone who uses a G450 could comment on this.

Good luck,

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> DVD on multiple monitors