Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Stetching application over four monitor - Setup help needed
Francois Tremblay   2008-09-29 05:10
I need to build a system to display a massive schema. Every projector / screen resolution is too low so I got the idea of building a video wall.

I'm looking to buy 4 dell ultrasharp 24 inches LCD and put them in a 2x2 configuration.

I will take my schema and stretch it on the video wall to get a resolution around 4000x2500 pixels. The schema will be in RSView... you can see it as a Visio schema. It's not video nor 3d.

Ideally, I would like to also buy the PC from Dell as it will be a lot easier here as it's an authorized supplier.

I looked at a Dell Precision T7400. There is the possibility of going with 2 NVS 290 video cards or 2 Quadro FX570 video cars.

Would this setup work? Or should I look at buying video cards from another supplier?

I managed to talk with a workstation technician from Dell and he was not sure if it would work. He heards it might be possible. After talking with a salesman he told me it might not be feasible...

Now I'd rather ask to people who at least know about it so here I am...

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Francois Tremblay   2008-09-30 05:11
Do you think putting two Ati FireMV 2250 or 2 Nvidia FX570 video cards in the two available PCI-Express x16 slot would do the trick?

Thanks for the help!
Francois Tremblay   2008-09-30 07:12
Oh and I forgot. Do you know if I could achieve the same thing on 8 monitors with 2 4-output cards?

It would be the same requirement. Stretching one application over all the monitors...
Christian Studer   2008-09-30 09:26
This depends on the application, for example stretching Notepad across all 4 monitors will work fine, but I don't know if this will work with your application.

Another solution would be to get a quad video card which supports span mode in addition to regular extended desktop mode. In span mode, the operating system and applications only see a single large monitor, so it should work fine with any application (assuming the application supports the large display resolution).

As far as I know only Matrox supports span mode under Vista.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Stetching application over four monitor - Setup help needed