Forums -> Multiple monitors -> XP Dual Display Problems: geforce 2 MX200 dualhead
Kevin Mullen   2001-11-19 02:25
Lots of wierdness here.

I installed the Nvidea drivers that were posted here, and I now have 2 monitors working. However, the second one, which connected to the digital port of the geforce (using the provided adapter) looks quite bad. The text is hard to read, the display flickers a lot and the resolution is lower than the other, even though I have them set to the same settings. 1600x1200 32 bit (which by my calculations:
((1600x1200x2x32)/8)/1024)= about 16Mb needed on graphics card to support this resolution & color depth on 2 displays.

It sorta looks like a TV screen, the resolution is lower, it flickers and looks almost like its interlaced.

I could cope with running it at a lower resolution if i had to, but I cannot cope with having to strain to read the text.

Additional Wierdness that may provide clues:

In the Hardware Device Manager, it lists 4 Default Monitors. Even if i delete 2 or all 4, and then select scan for new hardware, it picks up all 4 again immediately. The same thing happens when I use iiyama drivers. I don't know why it does this, or how to fix it.

On the OSD of the problematic display, when i select the diaplay frequency information. It says:

fh=63.7Khz SXGA
fv=60KHz

I'm not sure what SXGA is, but that may explain why the display is hard to read.

The problem still occurs when I lower the resolution to 1024x768: The text still looks bad and hard to read.

Please help! I'm stumped!

The card is a sparkle geforce 2 mx200 it has a DVI (Digital Visual Interface) port on the back which i need to use for the second monitor but comes with an adapter for analogue monitors, I have heard of no similar issues with using this interface.
the displays are 2 19 inch iiyama vision master 450's.

Please Help!
I'm Stumped.

Kevin.
Switi   2001-11-19 22:36
The Geforce card uses an external DA-converter for the second display. This one must not match the quality of the geforce's internal converter. Also the resolution of the second display was long time restricted to 1024x768, later to 1280x1024. You are using your card out of specification, thats why the picture quality is bad. If you need a 1600x1200 resolution with good quality, you will have to use another (2nd )graphic card.
Kevin Mullen   2001-11-20 01:45
Thanks for replying. You may be right, but I think part of the problem may lie in the fact that my monitor is using a display mode of SXGA and I don't know why. Even when I lower the resolution, the pixels on the display look big like on a TV screen. Maybe I should send it back and exchange for a Matrox G550

Kevin.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> XP Dual Display Problems: geforce 2 MX200 dualhead