Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Watch TV on a spare monitor
Pete   2008-11-10 22:03
Is there a way to input my TV or Satellite signal into my computer so I could watch it on a spare monitor or window? I now have a nice four monitor system and find I don't always need the fourth monitor for all my research tasks. Is there a way to feed a video signal into the computer and have Ultramon direct it to one of my "extra" monitors or a window?

I'm running XP on a 3GHz Pentium 4 single core with two PCI ATI cards, a 9200 and a 9250. System works fine as I'm not really a video game person. Just like the multiple monitors for historical research and comparing different old photos and work notes.

Thanks all the forums are great. Pete
Paegus   2008-11-11 01:49
if the card has a video input jack, you should be able to take S-Video or Composite through that and the audio can come in through your sound-card's line-in/digital jack.

Alternatively there are TV cards/USB-Dongles that can do the job but might not interface with your local equipment as they are usually a self-contained unit.

-Paeg
Pete   2008-11-11 13:59
My ATI RADEON 9250 PCI card has an svideo connection. I tought it was for output. I think I ran a cable to the large TV once and it mirrored one of the monitors back when I was running two monitors. How can one tell if one's video card has a video input? Would it be yellow RCA or possibly some other form?

Pete
Pete   2008-11-13 20:50
Okay, I guess I asked the wrong question or asked the wrong way. How about this: What old fashioned PCI (not e) video cards have a Video input?

Pete
ECarlson   2008-11-14 12:21
Any PCI TV card should work. Most have video inputs in addition to tuners. Or any video capture card would work. Or the USB 2.0 versions of the same should work too.

You could use the multiple inputs of one of your monitors, and just select a different input on the monitor.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Paeg   2008-11-25 23:47
if the plug in the back is just an s-video then it's unlikely that you can use it as an input. some cards have what looks like s-video but is much expanded. they also come with a box that has the inputs and outputs separated. if the card didn't come with this then it's likely only an output.

if it supports video input then there would also be a WDM video capture device driver installed when you installed your video card.

-Paeg
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Watch TV on a spare monitor