Forums -> Multiple monitors -> horizontal span over three different monitors
rider007   2008-11-17 02:41
Hello,
I've got a question concerning your software and a special multi-monitor setup:

The goal is to use three monitors on two graphic cards (center: 30" on Nvidia 8800 GTX, 2560*1600, left/right side 21" on Nvidia 8800 GTS, 1600*1200) in horizontal span mode (e.g. for gaming like FSX). Would this be possible with ultramon, even in Windows Vista?

If this is possible, it would be very kind to explain the steps for configuration.

Thanks and greets from

Rider007
Christian Studer   2008-11-17 10:57
UltraMon can't do this, this would need to be handled by the video card driver.

As far as I know Matrox has drivers which support this under Vista, I'm not sure though if also across multiple video cards.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Paeg   2008-11-25 23:42
matrox's TripleHead2Go does something similar but it's functionality is a bit limited. it creates 1 large monitor for the computer but the physical monitors connected are all set to the same resolution. this would all be running from the primary video card.

the problem with spanning cards is that each card has its own frame buffer so performance would be degraded unless the game itself supports multiple cards.

-Paeg
Clint   2008-12-05 06:50
I have something similar, a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 driven by a 8800GTX and a pair of 21" monitors at 1600x1200 on either side of the 24" being driven by an 8600GT.

For normal desktop stuff it works great. For gaming though I only use the 24" off the 8800GTX.

However for kicks and giggles one day I fired up EQ2 and set it to play in a window. I then dragged the window across all 3 monitors and it did indeed work. Frame rate was rather poor, 10fps or so, but it did work with no complaints.

The only issue I have is that from time to time the whole thing locks up for about 5 seconds then returns to normal. Event logs show problems with the video drivers. No amount of installing/uninstalling or updating has resolved this quirk :(

-- Clint
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> horizontal span over three different monitors