Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will this work? (or: Why won't this work?)
Rosenkrantz   2008-11-19 21:10
Hi,

I have a plan to make a game, where I show 9 (or 16) movie clips on 9 (or 16) monitors. Players will then identify the clips, and receive points for each.

I am thinking, that the game itself should be a Flach Movie (A very large one, I know).

The hardware solution is the central issue, and I have trawled this forum to find a setup that will work. I will try listing 2 scenarios, and hope to get your input:

Scenario 1:

I make a game, where there is 'only' 9 monitors:

A motherboard that will support 2 FireMV2400 and an additional ATI card that uses the same driver.

This should work from inside Vista, and the theoretical bonus: I can program the game as a VB application.

Scenario 2: The game requires 12/16 monitors.

I use a motherboard that supports 3/4 FireMV2400 (like ASUS P5Q Premium http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=2312&l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=0).

This is the dream scenario, but I am unsure whether I can stretch a VB application over such a large area.

But I guess the programming issues will fall into place, if the hardware part just works. But will it?

Look forward to receiving your input.

/Jesper
Christian Studer   2008-11-20 09:41
More than 10 monitors doesn't always work, unfortunately I don't know if it's a driver or resource issue, or something else.

BTW, if you're thinking about mixing PCIe and regular PCI FireMV cards: I tried this some time ago, but couldn't get it working.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Rosenkrantz   2008-11-20 20:08
Okay, so +10 monitors can be a problem. Does anyone have positive experiences wtih 12 or 16 monitors, and what was the configuration?

With regards to mixing PCI and PCI-E: Wouldn't I be able to run 4 PCI-E on this motherboard? If not, does anyone know of a motherboard that will run 4 cards?

/Jesper
Christian Studer   2008-11-21 09:35
I tested with 12 monitors a couple of years ago, the system was running XP with 3 Matrox G450 quad cards.

This worked fine, but recently I've heard from several people having problems with getting more than 10 monitors working with Matrox cards.

From the description it sounds like that motherboard has 4 PCIe x16 slots, which would enable you to install 4 regular PCIe video cards.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will this work? (or: Why won't this work?)