Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second monitor is 'shaking'
Matthew Wright   2001-11-28 11:52
Hi,

I use a Matrox G450 dualhead and have a 20" sony monitor as the primary display. My problem is that the secondary display (Samtron 55E) sometimes has a 'shaking' across some areas of the screen, usually over black areas or text. Why is this and how can I fix it?
Jim Witkowski   2001-11-29 06:42
Monitors use Electro magnetic field to deflect the electron beam across the screen. Thus monitors are very susceptible to external magnetic fields even those created by another monitor close by. Put two monitors side by side and hit the degauss button on one of them, you will see what I’m talking about immediately.

In dual monitor application where monitors are set up side by side, there is a very good possibility that there magnetic fields will interact and cause rolling images, jitter or other annoying artifacts on both screens. Short of moving the monitors away from each other (Limiting the benefits of using a dual head video card) there is no way to insulate or shield the monitors to eliminate this phenomena. To reduce this problem I recommend that the same monitor make and model be used in dual head applications. Monitors of the same make and model are less likely to interact with each other and are more likely to produce matching colors.

The interaction between the two monitors is mostly due to the magnetic fields fluctuating at different or out of sync frequencies. This is the same phenomenon you see when you look at a computer monitor on a television. In order to reduce this problem I recommend that both monitors be run at the same resolution and refresh rate.

Good Luck

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com
Christian Studer   2001-12-05 10:56
Also see the FAQ on interference for more on this issue.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second monitor is 'shaking'