Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Adding a 3rd monitor
websquad   2008-12-13 00:43
I find that I just don't have enough time to justify my Linux/Ubuntu rig, so I'm going to ditch (give away) the processor and use the 22"W monitor from it on my XP machine. I now have two 19" displays (1280 x 1024), and was thinking about putting the 22"W (1680 x 1050) in the middle. Any pros or cons? I know I'll need to add another graphics card, since my nVidia GeForce 880GT, 512MB, SLI card will only support two displays. I do not play computer games or watch TV on the computer; I just use it for web development. Any thoughts as to a second (inexpensive) graphics card?

bob
Tglake   2008-12-13 04:37
How about just slotting a new display (or several) into your USB port(s).

Get a Displaylink enabled adaptor from here
http://www.displaylink.com/shop.html

and slot in a new display to that.

Should work fine

Tim
websquad   2008-12-13 06:20
I don't know what "slotting" is, but it sounds interesting ... can you explain? Meanwhile, I went to one of the Circuit City stores that is closing and got a UV Plus + UV16 USB display port for $40 (50% off). No problem installing, once I remembered to turn on the power to the third monitor. I rearranged monitor #3 using display properties (I'm in XP/Pro) to position it in the middle, and at this point I'm pleased with the result. I tried the 3D Pipes screen saver, and it launched three instances of the application - one in each window. I noticed that in the new monitor there were some jagged lines, but I suppose that is a bandwidth problem because of the USP interface.

So, what is "slotting" ....

bob
Tglake   2008-12-13 08:01
for "slot in" read "plug in"

!!
wrybread   2008-12-14 23:39
Do those Displaylink adaptors handle 1024x768 resolution? Is there any downside to them? Can they display fullmotion, fullscreen video?

Will they work on a laptop for adding a 3rd monitor?

Do they show up as regular monitors in Windows? In other words, as a 3rd distinct monitor in Display --> Settings?

Thanks for any tips.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Adding a 3rd monitor