Forums -> Multiple monitors -> motherboard's SLI technology - compatibility w/ 2 vid cards
rich san   2008-12-14 12:26
I'm shopping for a new system and want one that I can use 3-4 monitors. I had asked (chat session)a Dell CSR if I could connect a PCI eX16 vid card AND a PCI vid card and she informed me that the Inspiron 530's "motherboard is not capable for the SLI technology".

Can someone help me out on determining what that means and how do I go about determining which motherboards can handle both a PCI Ex16 and regular PCI card. I was also hoping to install a TV tuner on the last PCI slot but now am concerned i'm getting in over my head.

I'm more of a software ap guy than hardware guy and other than adding ram, I generally don't open the box at all.

Any insight would be appreciated.

rs
Christian Studer   2008-12-15 10:03
She probably meant that the system doesn't have two PCIe x16 slots, using a PCIe x16 video card together with a regular PCI video card should work fine in general.

I did have issues with such a setup though, I couldn't get an ATI FireMV PCIe working together with the regular PCI version of the same card.

If possible, I would recommend getting a system with two PCIe x16 slots and two identical video cards.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ECarlson   2008-12-15 13:10
And, even if you get a system that has SLI capabilities, you won't be using that capability, because that capability is for combining multiple video cards into 1 output, and you want to use all the outputs of both video cards, so you would not enable SLI even if you had it.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> motherboard's SLI technology - compatibility w/ 2 vid cards