Forums -> Multiple monitors -> dual monitors identified differently on different os's
rigg   2009-01-11 18:16
i just fixed the dvi of my second monitor and it works fine on the os i fixed it from, monitor 1 is plugged in port 1 and it shows correctly when i identify them , 1 on the left and 2 on the right, but when i boot in vista they appear swapped , big problem because i can't swap cables or move the monitors as i need to use both os and they have to see the monitors in the same way, very odd as i formatted vista and still have that problem so i'm not sure what else to do, is there a way to swap monitors as seen by the OS?
rigg   2009-01-12 06:23
I changed the primary display in xp to use the secondary monitor and then moved the left monitor to the right which is a working solution, but now they have a little different tones. I have setup like this,

-monitor plugged on port 1, identifies as 2, set as primary so the logon screen and taskbar shows on this one, the bios screen shows on this one also.
-monitor plugged on port 2, identifies as 1.

can this be reversed so the monitor plugged in port 1 identifies as monitor 1 on windows display settings?
ECarlson   2009-01-13 13:58
You can move your taskbar to whichever monitor you want, and in display properties, you can arrange the representations of the monitors to match the real placement of the monitors.

What difference does it make what numbers they are? I think my monitors at work are numbered 3, 1, 2, or something like that, but the numbering doesn't have any affect on anything, other than that I have to assemble a 3-monitor wallpaper image in the correct order, but other than that, the numbering is irrelevant from what I've experienced. I think my home monitors are numbered 2, 1, but again, it has no bearing on anything that I've noticed.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Brian   2009-07-14 22:34
Well the one difference ive noticed...on Vista media center with 2X Winfast PCI cards running four displays video only works correctly on the monitor with the number one, which ever it is, but never properly on the others unless you have them set as number one (something you cant do without unplugging some...if we could assign numbers my media center would work properly as the HD projector is always number 3 grrrrrrrr
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> dual monitors identified differently on different os's