Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Good video card for TV Out via S-Video?
vertex11   2009-01-22 14:57
Hi, I'm new here. I want to buy a video card (PCI or PCI Express) to allow me to watch and hear computer videos on a 32" Sony CRT TV. I'd like to use Windows dualview (I think) so that my wife can use the computer's primary monitor for Word processing and Web surfing (audio not required) while I watch the TV on the other side of the wall.

I'd like to send via S-Video (and onboard audio) the signals to my DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-EH75V) which supports 4-pin S-Video, yellow composite video (I'd probably not use this), and 2 stereo red-white RCA plugs. The DVDR would either record the signals and/or pass them to my SD Sony CRT TV.

Although this is relatively low-tech, and I expect video cards 2-3 years old (or more) can suit my needs, I have seen the thread on this board where many of you are getting grief from your video cards/drivers for your own (no doubt higher-tech) TV out needs. The newer drivers you are given, in some cases, make it hard for you to even select your TV out properly, or get good video on your remote TV.

I expect to get a 12-ft or 24-ft S-Video cable (7-pin plus an audio jack to hook to my computer) on one end, and at the other end of the cable a 4-pin S-Video with 2 RCA red-white outputs.

I thought some of you might know what current, or perhaps older video cards, hopefully less than $100, might be simple and reliably recognized by my systemto allow me to make this connection relatively seamlessly. I don't have HDTV, or do gaming, or expect to.

My system is given below. Its bare bones, has only a simple onboard video and audio, it has one available PCI slot, one available PCI Express slot, and no AGP capability. Thanks!

Dell OptiPlex GX280
XP Pro
Pentium 4
400-MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel 915G chipset
integrated Intel Extreme Graphics
AC97, Sound Blaster emulation
P4 Desktop PC, Single Core 2.8Ghz. Processor
Tiberiust   2009-01-23 01:57
I do exactly that on my system. I use an nVidia 8500GT which yu can pick up for next to nothing nowadays. I play videos on my venerable 36'CRT with sound output thru SPDIF into surround amp and wifey surfs together with separate sound from AC97 - works perfectly on my basic Asus P5 with E4400. However, I did have some setup problems with the video and whilst trawling thru nVidia and other video forums I noticed a hell of a lot users complaining about nVidia's lack of support for older CRT Analog TVs. "Get an ATI" seemed to be the message repeated continuously. Still, I got my 8500GT working perfectly in the end...
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Good video card for TV Out via S-Video?