Forums -> Multiple monitors -> New system for running four 24" monitors
Papillon   2009-02-02 01:59
I'm looking to get a new system to run four 24" monitors with a resolution of 1920x1200. I have been on the Dell website, and the only option on there where I get two graphics cards is the 'Dell Precision' system. There are various combinations of cards available, but I was thinking of dual Nvidia NVS 290 cards. The system will not be used for gaming, just for trading software, so would they be adequate for my needs, or should I go for something more powerful?

Also, it seems there are other systems available from Dell which offer better value than their Precision range, but on the configuration menu don't give the option of dual graphics cards. One in particular comes with a Core i7 processor and an ATI Radeon 4850 card for a very good price. Could I just add another of these cards once I have the system to enable me to run four monitors? Is this easy to do?

Thanks for your help.
llin   2009-02-02 06:57
The NVS 290s will be plenty powerful for trading, 2D isn't demanding.

For the second scenario the motherboard must have two PCIe x16 slots and two 6-pin PCIe power connectors. Two 4850s is definitely overkill, it'd be a great gaming setup but I'd recommend adding a lower-end dual-DVI output PCIe card that doesn't require the aux power connector.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> New system for running four 24" monitors