Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will this work?
Bruce Johnson   2009-02-10 17:04
I currently use UltraMon to manage 2 LCD monitors hooked up to my Dell Optiplex 755 with a video card with dual DVI outputs. The 1st monitor is for my EMR (Electronic Medical Records) software where I do my charting. The second monitor is for displaying digital images (I'll review the imaging while making notes in the EMR as well as educating patients of what we've imaged) as well as for running multimedia presentations for educating my patients.

All works fine, but I'd like a 3rd monitor which mirrors the 1st monitor so that I can have a staff member record my findings while I'm examining the patient. The patient's record can only be edited by one PC at a time so they have to use my computer, but I don't want to have to play musical chairs so that we can both use the same computer.

After some research, my plan is to set my assistant up with a DisplayLink enabled monitor (Samsung SM940UX) with keyboard and mouse plugged into it, then connect it to my PC via USB. Then I'll use UltraMon to mirror my 1st monitor to the SM940UX.

Am I correct in assuming that this should work fine for me? Does the DisplayLink software play well with UltraMon? Does UltraMon mirror the 1st monitor and maintain a 2nd independent monitor well?

Looking forward to your advice/experiences,
Bruce
Christian Studer   2009-02-11 08:35
The mirroring will work fine, but both you and your assistant typing/using the mouse at the same time won't work or will cause problems.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Bruce Johnson   2009-02-11 11:49
Thanks Christian, that's what I figured, but thought I'd seek some input before laying out the cash in case there were compatibility issues. I guess I'll get one monitor and give it a try before equipping four rooms that way. I expect the typing/mouse issues, but don't think that will really be a problem as it will be quite obvious to my assistant when I stop examining the patient to make some notes on the chart.

Cheers,
Bruce
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will this work?