Forums -> Multiple monitors -> dual video cards, triple monitors, Vista error?
Norcross   2009-03-05 14:29
Here is my setup:

Vista Ultimate x64
1 nVidia GeForce 8400 GS - PCIe slot
1 PNY GeForce 8400 GS - PCI slot

identical GPUs, identical driver installed, but I am getting the dreaded 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)' error for the 2nd card in the PCI slot. Device manager does recognize it.

I am NOT trying to SLI them, I just want triple monitors. I have uninstalled all drivers and installed fresh with the most recent driver from nVidia. Any ideas?
Christian Studer   2009-03-06 02:59
Maybe the driver doesn't support both PCI and PCIe cards, that's just a guess though. I had a similar issue with two ATI FireMV cards, one PCIe and the other PCI, couldn't get both of them working on Vista.

Two Quadro NVS cards, also PCIe and PCI, worked fine on the same system.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Antti   2009-03-15 07:16
I got Geforce 8800GTX on PCIe slot and Geforce 6200 in PCI slot. Using same drivers and works like a charm. Dont really know what's the problem.
Antti   2009-03-15 07:20
oh and added to that....tested this with vista x32, x64 and win7 x64
Antti   2009-03-15 07:21
Have you tried to install them one at a time? I mean take out the second card and install display drivers with just one card. After its done, plug in the second adapter and then try to get it working.
Gene   2009-03-25 23:36
Remove the drivers completely with Driversweeper @ http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ and then go to safe mode and install the drivers here... do not let windows install the driver use nVidia driver install
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> dual video cards, triple monitors, Vista error?