Forums -> Multiple monitors -> basicdual monitor set up
simon h   2009-03-18 22:39
Hi,

I'm trying to get a basic dual monitor set up going for business purposes so basic 2d type stuff. The motherboard is ge force 7100/nforce 630i outputting to a vga and dvi port. The set up will include 2 identical 19" widescreen monitors. There's one PCIe slot available. Is there anyway to output so the vga output shows one screen view and dvi (with adaptor) shows a different screen view. Do I need another card? Can you recommend one?

I'm running Vista Business by the way.

Everything I've seen seems to be twin head gaming cards which drain too much power and seem too advanced for my purposes.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks - Simon
Christian Studer   2009-03-20 09:56
I'm not familiar with that motherboard, but the onboard video card may already support two monitors, might be worth a try before purchasing a dual-monitor video card.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ecarlson   2009-03-21 11:38
I agree. I just looked up a few motherboards with that chipset, since you didn't specify the exact model, and they seem to have built-in dual monitor support already. So you should be able to run 2 analog (VGA) monitors, or 1 analog (VGA) and 1 digital (DVI/HDMI).

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
ECarlson   2009-03-22 05:41
Also, if you do want to add a video card (even though there is probably no need), there are dozens of cheap dual-output video cards available. You should easily be able to get a good dual-output video card for under $50. www.NewEgg.com has dozens in the $30-50 range.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> basicdual monitor set up