Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows XP crashing with dual monitor ?
David   2001-12-17 20:56
Hi,

My Windows XP Professional crashes when I use dual monitor, with this configuration :

- ATI ALL IN WONDER RADEON (latest drivers)
- NVIDIA TNT2
- Network card 100
- Screens : both IIYAMA 19"
- 1 Go RAM, a lot of HD...

Resolution : 1280x1024

It's not crashing every time, but when I use both monitors a lot (moving a window from one monitor to the other, opening new windows in the second monitor...), the system freezes...

Does anybody know why ? Is there any incompatibility with the network card ? is it due to the tnt2 card ?

Thanks for your help

David Alia
The Steve   2001-12-24 04:31
Microsoft must have changed some driver stuff for XP.

My Matrox G450 has been freezing alot lately under windows XP.
Matrox has a tweak utility on their web site called MTSTU40204.exe
that let me slow down from AGP 2x to AGP 1x and this solved the problem.
This is on an ASUS P2B-D motherboard. Actually the G450 was unhappy
driving dual displays, so I went back to 1 display. This could have been
due to my overclocking the system, including the AGP. I haven't tried
using the tweak with dual to see if that fixes it.
zumran   2001-12-27 07:54
Internet explorer is to blame, i had the same problem, which resolved after I downgraded ie 6.0 to 5.5. Other thing I have noticed is ati cards give u more trouble than any other card. best way to have multiple monitors is have cards whose drivers are built into windows.
W0kk3L   2001-12-29 23:26
I have Windows XP running here...

vid 1 : Hercules Prophet 2
vid 2 : Creative Banshee

No problems...XP is running for 5 days now without a problem. It ain't IE 6.0 coz I have
that too....

W0kk3L
Mike Anderson   2002-01-07 03:39
I was also having the same problem with XP hanging solid whenever I moved an app to the other display.

My setup:
A-Open TNT2 3D Navigator AGP
Matrox Mystique PCI Set in Bios to init first

I did every thing to fix it, moved the mystique to different slots flashed the BIOS, Turned off Video BIOS caching, changed IRQs, Tried different drivers, crossed my fingers, and swore a lot - and was totaly stumped. I had both displays up and running in XP (wallpaper on both, could move mouse to both) and couldn't use the other because as soon as I opened an app and moved it to the mystique XP would hang. Then I noticed a setting on the advanced/troubleshooting tab. A checkbox labled "Enable Write Combining" right below the acceleration slider. I disabled this setting on the affected video card (Matrox Mystique) and now all is well. Winamp and explorer on the mystique and replying to this on the TNT2. I hope this might help you with your problem. I know it is very frustrating when you have a problem and help is not forthcoming. It is especially hard with a new OS.

Let us know if you got it working.

BTW this is my first post here and I have to say your site has gotten me through quite a few jams in the past.

Cheers
Mike Anderson
Bob Roberts   2002-01-07 19:13
I've got the same problems here running a Geforce 3 Ti 200 and an MX 400 PCI. There doesn't seem to be any sort of resolution with the latest drivers.

Then; I init my BIOS and set the PCI slots to boot FIRST and I get the second monitor to work - but ONLY in 640 x 480 and 8 bit mode. Very annoying.

Here's hoping someone finds a fix soon!
Mr. Maigo   2002-01-08 19:29
i just upgraded today, no probes other than the matrix screan saver is running slow

vid 1: voodoo 4 agp
vid 2: voodoo 3 pci

320 ram, 750 mhz, 1560 virtual mem ^_^
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows XP crashing with dual monitor ?