Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ati radeon hd3870, ati radeon hd2400pro, driver conflict?
babymonk   2009-04-10 14:57
hi all,

i'm trying to get the two above cards to work together in the same system, but am having trouble. here's the situation:

configuration:

pci-e x16: ati radeon hd3870
pci: ati hd2400pro
installed latest catalyst drivers (9.4)
mb: some kind of dell mb and bios (precision 9200)
everything else in the computer: dell oem

what happens:

to attempt this setup, i first installed the pci-e card, made that primary in the bios, cleaned the existing drivers with driver cleaner, cleaned the registry, etc, installed catalyst, and then rebooted. this works fine. next i install the pci card, and reboot. windows then finds the pci card all on its own (it does not simply run it as a generic vga device) since catalyst is already loaded. however, the pci card then fails to start (according to device manager), and in the event viewer, i get an error from ati2tmag (below).

what i've tried so far/thoughts on what could be wrong:
1) reinstalling catalyst drivers with both cards seated - this doesn't help.
2) could there be something about my bios/mb that prohibits me from using both a pci-e and a pci graphics card?
3) the ati2tmag error: it appears that some kind of memory address is what's causing the trouble. ati had a fix a long while back for cards with video out - but this is a VERY old fix. is it relevant here?
4) in my desperation, i tried an nvidia 8400gs as an alternative to the ati hd2400pro. after i installed the 8400gs and booted up, the resolution on the monitors being driven by the ati hd3870 was back to vga. then i installed the nvidia drivers and rebooted. this resulted in the monitors on the ati hd3870 to return to normal. in the display properties i could also "see" the 8400gs - but i could not enable the monitors on it. when i tried to do that, i got some error (i forgot to copy it down). i also could see the 8400gs monitors in the catalyst control center. i tried to enable them there too, but also encountered an error.

any help/ideas much appreciated! thanks in advance.

here's the event viewer output:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 4/9/2009
Time: 11:01:10 PM
Description:
Unable to map required address ranges for graphics card.
Data:
0000: 0e 00 04 00 01 00 5e 00 ......^.
0008: 00 00 00 00 02 00 01 c1 .......Á
0010: 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 02 00 01 c1 ...Á
rtangwai   2009-04-11 15:45
By a strange coincidence, I use a 3850 and a 2400pro under Windows XP in my computer setup (as well as a X1600pro - I run 6 monitors). A major difference I have is that all my cards are PCI-E. I have no problems in Catalyst 9.3 (I cannot run 9.4 as it no longer supports my X1600pro). My motherboard is an ASUS P5Q-E (Intel P45 chipset), yours I believe is the Intel 965 chipset. Have you tried the PCI card in another PCI slot? Also, are there any other PCI cards installaed, especially Creative Labs sound card(s)? Did you try using only the PCI video card to see if the error is due to the 2400pro only? In the BIOS, there should be an option to choose what video device to use on startup, PCI or PCI-E - have you tried changing that setting?
babymonk   2009-04-11 17:02
rtangwai, thanks for the feedback. i actually just resolved my issue - a little bit by luck, and with a little bit of sleuthing. here's a summary of what i tried, just to document things for future attempts:

first, to address your questions, i only have a modem installed as another PCI device. nothing else. pulling that out didn't seem to help. switching the primary adapter in the BIOS did provide some insight. i was able to boot up with either the PCI-E card or the PCI card enabled as primary - and in each case, the card chosen as primary loaded and was recognized by windows appropriately, while the other card was not. in either case, device manager showed a conflict (yellow exclamation bang), either on the hd2400 pro, or the PCI-E port root to which the hd3870 is connected.

now for the luck part. based on some other forum suggestions (dell community, search for my username, babymonk), i was fiddling with the primary adapter setting some more, and by chance, once when i booted with the PCI-E card primary, the HD2400 did not have a conflict. in fact, the card worked!

however, a new problem surfaced - the computer was very slow - even though the CPU was nearly entirely free, and nothing was loaded into RAM. i also noticed that 256 MB of RAM had disappeared in system properties - so my hunch was that there was some kind of addressng/readdressing issue. based on this, i took out the /3Gb switch in boot.ini - and that solved the problem.

so, in summary, my assessment is that the original underlying problem was a resource conflict. running with the /3Gb switch, i only had 1 Gb of addressing for the OS - and that was only barely enough for two graphics adapters (512 Mb and 256 Mb) and whatever else gets addressed. my lucky hint was that everything started working - albeit slowly.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ati radeon hd3870, ati radeon hd2400pro, driver conflict?