Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AutoCAD on Secondary Monitor & Child Windows open on Primary
Terry   2009-04-15 08:55
I am running AutoCAD 2002 and prefer to run it on the secondary #2 monitor. With UltraMon I can setup so it launches on seconday but when I open dialog boxes and other "Child Windows" they open up on the Primary monitor. Also the Child windows like MTEXT editor don't retain the last used size and always reopen with minimum size. It a real Pain in the XXX.

Anyone have a solution other than running AutoCAD on the primary monitor and leaving it there?

Terry Hansen
Andrzej Ladosz   2009-04-22 22:38
Hi,
Your version of AutoCAD (2002) is bit old. If I remember correctly you can only have AutoCAD Text Window ("history" of Command: prompt; switchable by pressing F2) on the other screen. I used it from AutoCAD Release 10 onwards (under DOS, in 1989). It was limitation of the program itself - up to AutoCAD 2004 or 2005.
Newer versions of AutoCAD let you move toolbars, Properties, attributes, layer control, Ribbon and other dialog boxes to any screen other than main AutoCAD graphic screen.
My PC has 3 monitors and AutoCAD (versions 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and AutoCAD Electrical 2010 Beta all installed "side-by-side", which is NOT recommended by Autodesk!). Main graphics screen is on screen 3, all AutoCAD-related toolbars etc on screen 1 and other running programs on screen 1 and 2. Arrangement of screens: 2 (left), 1 (middle) and 3 (right). All these were done using basic Windows XP Pro, without help from any other 3rd party programs. UltraMon won't help you if application does not allow it!
You have to upgrade your AutoCAD - sorry.
Good luck.

Andrzej Ladosz
AutoCAD draughtsman (Electrical/Instrumentation)
South Africa
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AutoCAD on Secondary Monitor & Child Windows open on Primary