Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Suitability Q from mm virgin
Mike G   2009-05-23 17:27
Multimonitor virgin looking to do the first of a 'two phase' PC replacement by buying the DELL Ultrasharp 2209WA monitor next week and using it alongside my existing Samsung SyncMaster 193v for the time being.

1) My current graphics card is a MSI NX7300LE PCI x16 with just 256mb DDR2 Pci-express - don't laugh! It's just one reason for my PC replacement after all.
2) I'm considering replacing it with the Sapphire HD4870 1GB.

My OS is MS XP Professional + SP2

The Ultramon sounds very convincing but before I take the plunge into multi monitors I would like confirmation that my proposal should run smoothly.

A second identical Dell should be added during 'phase 2' when my system goes fully AM3/DDR3.

Mike G
ecarlson   2009-05-24 09:21
According to MSI, that particular card does not support dual monitors, which is unusual today for a card that has 2 connectors, since most support dual monitors.

Here's the link

So, if your motherboard doesn't have an onboard video output that you can use, then you'll either need a second card, or preferably a replacement dual-out card.

You'll want to run your new monitors digitally, so you'll want a new card with dual digital (DVI, HDMI, Display-Port) outputs.

If you don't do 3D gaming, you won't need a power hungry or expensive card, which would also be good because you wouldn't have to be concerned if you have an adequate power supply or not.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
ecarlson   2009-05-24 09:27
Also, you won't need Ultramon until after you have the dual monitors set up and working. You can try/buy it later if you want the additional features it provides. It does seem to provide some very nice features, but I don't personally have Ultramon on either of my multi-monitor systems.

Mike G   2009-05-25 08:32
Thanks for that Eric. Whatever is the point of building a gfx card with two outlets that can't be used as a pair. Still, better to discover this before I order the Dell and THEN have to wait for the Sapphire 4870 1GB to follow. But will the HD4870 work with the Syncmaster 193v and the Dell 2209WA?

Mike G
Mike G   2009-05-25 17:46
On second thoughts if I got the HD4870 gfx too early on my old board I could run into a logjam to say the least. Better and cheaper to get 'temporary' mobo with grfx chip. I'm looking at Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3 which includes ATI HD3200 (DX10) gfx engine. Will this board and existing MSI NX7300LE PCI x16 gfx card do the multi-mon business for me?

Mike G
ecarlson   2009-05-26 22:38
Why not get a $40 dual output video card as your temporary solution? Also, why are you buying a power-hungry video card? Do you do 3D gaming? If not, get something not so power hungry, and cheaper, and potentially quieter.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Suitability Q from mm virgin