Forums -> Multiple monitors -> complicated multi monitor kvm setup
Stephen   2009-06-04 00:08
All,

Here's the scenario:
We have four workstations, and would like four client stations. Each station should be able to connect to any of the workstations. Blackbox's servswitch equipment will let us do that for single monitor usage.

The catch: We want dual monitors on each client.

Blackbox's tech rep said that they do not make such a device, nor had he ever seen one before. As I see it, there are three potential solutions.

The first is to use Blackbox's servswitch system with single monitor output to each client, and use some type of hardware to span the vga signal across two screens, and use some sort of software to trick windows into seeing the single output as two separate screens. I know I have seen this type of hardware before, but it was so long ago that I don't remember what it was called. Has anyone come across this device?

The second is to set up each computer with dual video output, use 1x4 splitters, and 4 dual video kvm's, each one connected to each computer (on the duplicator output). This route requires a ton of cabling.

The third is some type of thin client/remote desktop solution that supports remotely viewing from dual monitors. (not sure if remote desktop or vnc can do that??)

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Stephen
ecarlson   2009-06-06 14:21
Sounds like you want an 8x8 KVM matrix switch where the endpoints switch in tandem pairs. Lots of companies make 8x8 (or 8 x some larger number) KVM matrix switches, but I don't know if there are any that can be programmed to sync/link/join pairs of inputs and pairs of outputs.

You might contact the many KVM matrix switch makers, and ask if an have this ability, or if any of them can add this capability in the future. I would think in many cases it would just require adding that feature to the firmware that controls the matrix, so they might be able to add the feature to their existing switches.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> complicated multi monitor kvm setup