Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Random Dual Screen Wallpapers
Chandler   2009-06-10 19:39
I want to have my dual-screen wallpapers cycle randomly on a set interval.
I'm currently using the ChangeWallpaperAuto2 script from the script page. It works great, but it just goes down the list from top to bottom. I'd like it to be random.

So basically I want a script exactly like that, but with a randomizer built in.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks!
Chandler

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
-Willy Wonka-
Chandler   2009-06-12 16:16
Well I got the code from somewhere else. Here it is in case someone else wants to use it.

Option Explicit Const INTERVAL = 20 'interval between wallpaper changes in minutes Const UMDESKTOP_EXE = "%ProgramFiles%\UltraMon\UltraMonDesktop.exe" Dim sh, fso Set sh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 'check if UltraMon 3 or later is installed Dim umVer umVer = sh.RegRead("HKLM\Software\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\CurrentVersion") 'get the location of the wallpaper folder(s) Dim dirWps If umVer = "" Then 'UltraMon 2, location of the user and shared wallpaper folders stored in the registry ReDim diwWps(1) dirWps(0) = sh.RegRead("HKCU\Software\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\Wallpaper\Wallpaper Directory") dirWps(1) = sh.RegRead("HKLM\Software\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\Wallpaper\All Users Wallpaper Directory") Else 'UltraMon 3 or later, wallpaper folder is at a known location ReDim dirWps(0) dirWps(0) = sh.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%APPDATA%\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\" & umVer & "\Wallpapers") End If Dim files : ReDim files(100) ' arbitrary size Dim filecount : filecount = -1 'enumerate available wallpapers Dim i, fldName, fldWp, fileWp, fileWpFullName For i = 0 To UBound(dirWps) fldName = dirWps(i) If Right(fldName, 1) <> "\" Then fldName = fldName & "\" Set fldWp = fso.GetFolder(fldName) For Each fileWp In fldWp.Files If Right(fileWp.Name, 10) = ".wallpaper" Then fileWpFullName = fldName & fileWp.Name ' found a file...put it in the files array: filecount = filecount + 1 ' if we need to grow the array, do so arbitrarily: If filecount > UBound(files) Then ReDim Preserve files(filecount+20) files(filecount) = fileWpFullName End If Next Next ' chop the array of files to the right length: ' (not necessary, really) ReDim Preserve files(filecount) ' *NOW* start picking at random: Randomize ' only do this once per app Dim pick, lastPick, temp lastPick = "" Do While True ' forever ' randomize the array: For i = 0 To filecount pick = INT( RND() * (filecount+1) ) temp = files(pick) files(pick) = files(i) files(i) = temp Next ' don't allow first pick of new ordering to be ' same as last pick of prior ordering (to be sure ' you won't get same file twice in a row) If files(0) = lastPick Then files(0) = files(filecount) files(filecount) = lastPick End If ' now run through the re-ordered array one time: For pick = 0 To filecount fileWpFullName = files(pick) lastPick = fileWpFullName 'load next wallpaper Dim cmd cmd = """" & UMDESKTOP_EXE & """ /load " & fileWpFullName sh.Run cmd 'wait WScript.Sleep INTERVAL * 60 * 1000 Next ' and the loop will cause a reorder of array and ' then do it all again Loop

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
-Willy Wonka-
smiffer   2010-01-13 02:38
How exactly do I utilize this script? I went to the UltraMon help and there is a section on scripting but I don't see how I actually utilize them. So I would copy the above script, open notepad, paste the script in and save it as say RandomWallpaper.vbs? Then where do I save this?
Christian Studer   2010-01-13 09:56
That's pretty much it, you can save the file anywhere you want, then double-click it to launch the script.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Random Dual Screen Wallpapers