Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can I use two different graphics cards and still have Aero enabled in Windows 7??
Synapse Syndrome   2009-06-14 07:45
If I remember correctly, in Vista, if you had two graphics cards that used two different drivers, you would not be able to have Aero enabled.

To have Aero and two graphics cards, they use the same drivers, so for example, they have to both be either ATi Radeon cards, or both be nVidia GeForce cards. True?

Is this the same case with Windows 7?

The problem I have is that I want to add a second card to my main machine, but it has an ATi FireGL CAD workstation card, and I want to add a ATi Radeon consumer card to it. I think these two different types of cards use different driver packs.

Will I not be able to use Aero if I do this?

Cheers
Daniel Neely   2009-06-21 13:04
Sorry. Vista and later require all graphics cards to use the same driver to enable aero.
LittleScooby   2009-07-29 17:20
Is this documented somewhere for Windows 7?
Christian Studer   2009-07-30 11:07
Apparently this is no longer required for Windows 7, see Graphics Guide for Windows 7 for details (page 87).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Synapse Syndrome   2009-12-14 02:15
Yes, with Windows 7's WDDM 1.1, you can now use two different drivers and still have Aero enabled.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can I use two different graphics cards and still have Aero enabled in Windows 7??