Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Is this possible?
Chris   2001-12-28 05:04
Hi,
I currently own an AMD Athlon 1333Mhz, 512 MB DDR RAM, and a Geforce2 Pro ( 64 Meg ) with Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 19" screen. In my basement, I have a spare 15" screen and a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI. This means I could make a dual monitor setup right? Now, here's my question : I play a lot of games ( They don't support multi monitor... e.g. Starcraft, Red Alert 2 etc ). Is it possible to play a game on my 19" with the geforce, while I can still access my desktop ( reading ICQ messages etc. ) on the 15" at the same time? I'm using Win XP Pro and it's really annoying that I always have to press ALT+TAB whenever I get an ICQ message when I'm playing.

If this can be done, I would be very happy! :)

Thanks in advance,
Chris.
Jeremy   2002-01-02 12:33
actually that's not possible because that would mean windows would have to allow focua on two windows at once, and as far as i know, that's not possible.
Johnny Dough   2002-01-08 07:12
Actually, this can be done. I do it all the time, but you take a performance hit.

I play games once in awhile, and on a dual cpu system, it works quite well.

Depending on the game, you keep both displays active and load the game. It starts on the primary monitor and the secondary still has your desktop.

Some games blank out the secondary monitor, but most light or non 3D games allow you to keep your second monitor active with the desktop.

You do get a performance hit however so keep that in mind. The more intense the game, the more of a perfomance hit you will get.
Johnny Dough   2002-01-08 07:14
Also, there is a way you can have ultramon launch an application and then activate the secondary monitor X seconds after the app launches. You can also designate application priorities, so you can run the game in high priority, and when it starts, have the second monitor run. That way you can play and use your desktop at the same time.
Jeremy   2002-01-09 14:57
I think, I'm not sure, but I think that since you have two processors, one can handle the game, and one can hadle other stuff. And since it like splits the processors up, you take a performance hit of 50%. That's my thoery, though.
Brendin   2002-01-10 15:12
Jeremy that theory is wrong. Multiple processors do not work that way.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Is this possible?