Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Disable secondary witout moving applications to primary monitor
Charles Logan   2009-08-13 22:49
My computer is connected to two different monitors using Extended desktop in Windows 7 RC.

On my secondary monitor Im running one single program called "Imon Manager" on the screen.

I sometimes want to be able to disable the secondary monitor and continue working on the primary monitor. But problems is when I use UltraMon to Disable Secondary the "Imon Manager"-application is being moved and shown on the primary monitor. This is very annoying.

Is there a way to disable the secondary monitor in UltraMon, and prevent the running applications of being moved to the primary monitor?

Thanks in advance!
Charles
Christian Studer   2009-08-14 09:58
That's not possible, also not via Display Properties, the operating system moves applications away from a disabled monitor.

I would recommend turning the monitor off manually instead (by pressing the monitor's power button), this way the application will continue running on the secondary monitor (the monitor is still enabled as far as the operating system is concerned).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Charles Logan   2009-08-15 00:05
Hi Christian and thanks for your answer,

The problem is that the secondary monitor is a part of the computer case, so it doesn't have any on/off button.

Isn't there any other to prevent Windows from moving applications away from the disabled monitor, for example with a registry hack?

An alternative solution would be to run a script which hide the "Imon Manager"-application from being shown when the secondary monitor is disabled. For example I tried Hide Wizard, but unfortunatly it seemed a little buggy.

Any suggestions to solve this would be appreciated.. :)

Charles
Christian Studer   2009-08-15 08:58
I'm not aware of a way to prevent this. If you just want to blank the monitor you could use the UltraMon Screen Saver Player add-on to run the blank screen saver on the secondary monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Disable secondary witout moving applications to primary monitor