Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 6 Monitor Setup - Monitor order changes when a monitor looses power
Jim Senate   2015-08-03 11:35
Greetings,

I looked through recent threads, but if this question has already been answered elsewhere, if you can please point me in the right direction.

I am helping at a self storage business to setup a computer with 3 video cards that is pushing video to 5qty 50" 1080 televisions (to display security cameras). The 6th video out is for the local computer monitor.

The issues is:
1) How can I easily administer the 5 television monitors? I have to drag and drop the security feed individually to each monitor, but I cannot see them as they are in another room. So currently I have to use 75ft USB extension cable to take the keyboard and mouse into the other room and manually drag, drop and maximize the security feed onto each TV.

2) I can manage it, but if there is ever a power loss, then Windows will reshuffle the monitors and I will no longer have the correct security feeds on the correct monitors. Then I have to drag the USB extension cable out and do it manually again.

What is the easiest way to manage this type of setup?

- Is there a way to 'hard code' the monitors so they do not re-shuffle if one monitor is turned off or looses power?

- Is there a way easily manage the 5 TV monitors from the computer console without having to use the USB extension cable to manually drag and drop the security feeds to each monitor?

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Christian Studer   2015-08-03 17:21
1) you could use the MirrorMon add-on for UltraMon to display the contents of one of the TVs on the local monitor.

2) is the monitor arrangement messed up, or do the monitors get numbered differently (monitor A was previously #1 but is now #2)?

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Jim Senate   2015-08-08 11:20
Thank you for the quick reply. I will check out the MirrorMon add-on.

In response to your question, yes. On the computer running Windows 8 with 6 HDMI monitors attached, if a monitor looses power it causes the other monitors to reshuffle, such that they are renumbered. Thus they no longer display the desired video sources.

For example, I have a security cam view of the front door displayed to TV monitor1. If monitor3 looses power, Windows reshuffles the layout and monitor1 is now displaying a security cam view of outside.

Sincerely,
Jim
Christian Studer   2015-08-08 12:01
When this happens, does monitor 1 show the view which was previously on monitor 3? If a monitor gets disabled the windows on that monitor will be moved to another monitor, maybe that's what happens.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 6 Monitor Setup - Monitor order changes when a monitor looses power