Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 6800GT AGP and Appian Gemini PCI
MattTS   2005-03-09 01:40
I've had a dual monitor set up for nearly 2 years now and I just got 2 19" CRTs to replace my 17" CRT and 15" TFT. As I had the 17" CRT spare I decided to buy a cheap PCI graphics card to run it as a 3rd monitor. I bought the Gemini as it was very cheap. I put the gemini PCI card in, installed drivers etc but now when I click on the settings tab in the display properties my PC just reboots. This is with Windows XP by the way. Any chance of getting this working?
Tantalus   2005-03-09 04:27
jeez, you're weren't kidding about cheap...i see it as low as $9-12 if the search engine results are right.

so it reboots, huh? then you'll have try the usual troubleshooting stuff:

1) different drivers
2) changing the irq and memory addresses the card uses
3) BIOS related settings (pci as Primary Video, etc)
MattTS   2005-03-10 01:30
I can only find one set of drivers for the graphics card, w2kv102g2i. In the device manager settings it says there are no conflicts, so would changing IRQ settings make any difference?
Tantalus   2005-03-10 02:43
if you're telling me that the system reboots when you try to change the card's display settings, this tells me that there's some sort of conflict between the card and the OS. generally, if you're running a 32bit os like nt,w2k,xp the memory space should be isolated - the worst you could expect to see would be a BSOD...it's rather unusual that the system reboots itself (more evidence that something was trying to access protect memory).

this is most likely a driver issue but you can't completely rule out the possibility changing the memory address might fix the problem. at this point, you don't have a lot of clues to work with so you'lll have to decide if futher trial & error troubleshooting is worth the time (weighed against the odds of getting this fixed) or just trying a different card altogether.
MattTS   2005-03-10 02:56
Ok, fixed it :) I changed the PCI card to init first (not sure if that fixed it) but I disabled nvidia's desktop manager which I think was causing the problem. Thanks for your help :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 6800GT AGP and Appian Gemini PCI