Forums -> Multiple monitors -> gaming setup
lalla   2002-06-21 03:33
Having trouble getting this to work:
I want primary monitor(19") to handle windows,internet etc and secundary monitor(17") to handle games and games only....I have moved my "games folders" over to my secundary monitor and starts them there but the game pop's up and begin loading at the primary monitor. If I try to invert the primary/secundary setting, then everthing starts on the 17"...
So how do I lock all games to start on the 2.nd monitor?

abit BE6-IIv2.0
pentiumIII600mhz
Gainward Gf2MX-400 golden sample @210,210
384Mb
Ian Kullhem   2002-06-21 08:08
Most games will only play in the primary monitor, unless it's a windowed application in which case it can be moved. The easiest thing to do would be make your 17in your primary monitor and use it for games, then use something like nView or UltraMon to set your other programs to start on the secondary monitor. Many programs will remember where you move them too as well, such as Outlook or IE.
--
I-Dawg
I-Dawg@totalspeed.net
lalla   2002-06-21 10:58
ok, got ultramon2.0...still having troble with other programs starting on the 17".
How do I set this up?

Thanks for all help

abit BE6-IIv2.0
pentiumIII600mhz
384Mb
lalla   2002-06-22 06:12
Do I really have to make a shortcut for each and every program and application that I want to start on the 19"? This will be quite a bunch...
Is there really no other way of getting games and games only to start on the 17" then to set it as primary?? It seems like ultramon is quite a nice program, but maybe it isen't capable of handling this kind of settings....

abit BE6-IIv2.0
pentiumIII600mhz
384Mb
Christian Studer   2002-06-22 06:29
You could also change the primary monitor before playing a game and reset the original settings afterwards. UltraMon offers several ways to do this (display profiles, menu command, script).

BTW, you don't need to create shortcuts for each program, you can just right-click an existing shortcut on the Start menu or Desktop, select Properties and make the desired settings on the 'UltraMon - Window' tab.

As Ian said, most applications will save their position themselves, you'll have to move them to the other monitor once and close them there, the next time they'll reopen on the same monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
lalla   2002-06-22 12:22
BTW, you don't need to create shortcuts for each program, you can just right-click an existing shortcut on the Start menu or Desktop, select Properties and make the desired settings on the 'UltraMon - Window' tab.

Am trying to enable this...seems easy and quite nice, but nope.....starts on 17" anyway, which is set to primary so that my games will start there.After trying I go back to check and then "windows-tab" is set correctly to monitor1(19") but in "display-tab" it has switched back to monitor2(17")....

abit BE6-IIv2.0
pentiumIII600mhz
384Mb
lalla   2002-06-23 08:37
ok got the script so I can easily switch primary monitor...works well enough, but I've get trouble when I try to launch Operation Flashpoint and 3DMARK2001...both suddenly fail to start up. 3DMARK2001 tells my that I need hardware that supports directX8...what's happend??

abit BE6-IIv2.0
pentiumIII600mhz
384Mb
Christian Studer   2002-06-23 08:48
See this thread for troubleshooting tips (near the end).

Regarding the window and display tabs: if you only want to reposition the application, you should only use custom window settings. Custom display settings can be used if you want to change display settings like resolution, etc. before launching the application.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> gaming setup