Forums -> Multiple monitors -> laptops and multi-monitor-configs
Olaf Rabbachin   2003-10-06 03:22
Hi folks,

a while ago I posted a question specific to my system.
Since nobody answered - is there anybody using a laptop with more than one monitor (the laptop's TFT not being used) at all?
I.e. a docking-station with PCI-slots that carry PCI-cards supporting the monitors?

original thread

Cheers,
Olaf
Matt   2003-10-06 08:56
Hi there,

I have a Thinkpad T30 with a Docking station that has a PCI slot. I wasted way too much time trying to get this to work. Eventually, I DID get a Matrox Mystique card to work fine, but I had to not install the full Matrox driver suite. I had to pluck just the display driver out of the cab file and install it in the Windows way, not using their setup script.

I talked to IBM support and they said that the PCI slot was not designed to handle video cards, that it was designed for SCSI cards and the like. Because there is an extra PCI-to-PCI bridge between the card and the CPU, there are a whole host of problems that can happen, especially with a high-bandwidth card like most of those available today.

The other problem was that I couldn't hot-undock my laptop with this setup, which was a real pain if I had to run off to a meeting, shutting down the whole computer just to undock it.

Eventually I settled for the Margi Display-to-Go Cardbus card. I put it in my laptop slot (not the Dock slot, can't undock if I put it there either!), and if I run off to a meeting I just switch to my single monitor profile, unplug the cable (can't eject the card either once it's in there!) and undock.

Another option is coming soon (http://www.vtbookdd.com/) which looks like a sweet card, but good luck finding one!
Olaf Rabbachin   2003-10-20 19:08
Hi Matt,

thanks for letting me know.
Maybe that's why it'll work with an antique card like the Elsa Erazor II (4MB PCI).
I guess I'll be better off with going back to having a desktop + a laptop. With gigabit-networks starting to get affordable I'll again copy stuff from desktop to laptop and back, but have an array of monitors for the desktop ...

Cheers,
Olaf
Gord   2003-12-28 03:06
Want to buy a new custom designed computer a laptop because I travel alot, but when I get home I want to be able to hook up my laptop to mulitple monitors (probably 4). What should I have in my new computer to make this happen?? and where do you get it?? Want the capability of hooking up to 6 monitors in the future. I heard a docking station might be considered. I will be using this computer for stock trading, real time.

Thanks Gord

Thanks Gord
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> laptops and multi-monitor-configs